Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Weekend re-cap - Somewhat dreary

I was on call this past weekend, so we stayed close to home.  I didn't get called in, so I used my time off to get a LOT of things done that I had been putting off, and just generally staying busy around the house.  Including filing and shredding {I hate it so}, cleaning the bathrooms, buying groceries, taking all of the Easter down, doing some laundry, mopping floors, changing sheets, cooking.  By the time 7 p.m. rolled around on Saturday night it was around 38 degrees, so I even built a small fire in the patio firepit and enjoyed some mulled wine - in April!  I couldn't start any big projects, but being a homebody sometimes is it's own reward.  I cooked for all of us, made a pie, got to sleep in on Sunday.
On Sunday morning,  Hubby and I enjoyed a breakfast out here, then he made a quick run up to Highlands to check on things since Burnet had some wild weather earlier in the week.  He left Austin under drab skies and arrived to full sun.  The bluebonnets are there {you can barely see them in the photos!}  but they are not as prolific as last year...and come to think of it, I missed them last year since I was still working weekends.  Maybe it has to do with the elevation on the hill?
 I'm hoping I will get to see them before they fade out for the year.  Even a few bluebonnets sprinkled here and there are pretty. 
The cacti are going great guns - if it weren't for a few blooms on the stick cactus, you could mistake them for, well...sticks.  And there are tiny buds on the prickly pear.  Eventually we will have to thin out some of the cactus patches - especially the ones that are near the roads in and around Highlands.  Cactus spines can penetrate tires and shoes!
The weekend wasn't any more exciting for Hubby than it was for me - he worked on some things for his job, and stayed in constant communication with his nephew, who's father passed away on Saturday night.  So a trip to Dallas will happen this coming weekend.  And the week started off with some sadness, of course.  In his youth, Hubby was very close to his brother-in-law.
By Sunday we will be back on our hill, hopefully enjoying some downtime...and planning the spring projects we need to get started on.



No comments: