Friday, January 20, 2017

Brisket Chili Crock Pot - Firstborn's Birthday Meal

If you are fortunate enough to have leftover brisket to make chili out of, like they do at Pok-E-Jo's, you can make some darn good chili. (If not, just go buy a brisket at HEB like I did - it's not cheap, but it made a wonderful birthday dinner for Firstborn!) Carol and I had it at Sidecar when we went to a wine pick-up party.  It's one of my favorite things and I knew I had to make it for him. 
 
 This is the brisket I used - it made enough chili to feed 12 people!

Brisket Chili
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2T chili powder
1 t. cumin
1 t. oregano
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 28 oz can kidney beans, drained
1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained
1 8 oz can tomato sauce (not pictured)
3 c. beef brisket, chopped up
Cook onion, jalapeno, and garlic in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes.  Add the spices in and saute until they are fragrant - about 2 minutes.  Add to the crock pot with all else.  (Add a little water if you like your chili to be more like soup)  Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
 Steaming chili in the soft glow of the kitchen - a very comforting meal on a cold day.
I served it with jalapeno spoonbread - it's similar to a Jiffy corn casserole, but I used a Mexican cornbread mix, half the sour cream, sauteed a minced jalapeno in the butter.  We put a big spoonful of it into our chili bowls - YUM.
I used the Pioneer Woman's recipe for berry cobbler, but used 4 cups of raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries and served it with ice cream.  It was buttery and warm and a perfect end to our meal.  And I guess Firstborn enjoyed it all, too - he told me he would be back the next day to have leftovers chili for lunch!





1 comment:

Audrey said...

Wish I was organized as you are. You have a lovely family.