Friday, November 27, 2015

Day after turkey, 2015 - a picture says a lot..

Last year, it was a somewhat stressful Thanksgiving.  Yes, we were all healthy and together.  There was a lot of food, beautiful weather, games at the patio table, the firepit going.  Still, I was unable to do as much as I would have liked, due to recovering from knee surgery.  I sat down and made notes about how I wanted it to be different this year.  Adjusted my expectations.  Decided on doing things a little differently.   And, oh, what a difference a year makes.
Did I slog through mud at the tree farm all in the name of tradition to pick out the perfect tree?  NO.Did I cater to everyone else's tastes and requests when making out the menu? NO.  Did I get up and slave over homemade breakfasts?  NO.  However, I was the one doing the prep and cooking and washing up.  It was just easier that way.  And I did change the expectation that, once Thanksgiving is over, the house has to be decorated and ready for Christmas that minute.  This year, we got the trees up, and that's it.  Period.  The rest can wait until next week.  So, what does this pic say?  The house is reasonably clean, there is a pot of turkey soup on the stove, the tree that seems to get larger every year is decorated (as is the kids' tree) and mom hasn't lost her mind. She might be a little achy and out of sorts after walking 5 miles in the rain on Turkey Trot, but overall, the stress level here is much less than that of last year....that's fair start, no?



1 comment:

Simply LKJ said...

Good for you! So much always fall on the women in the family to get things done, and truth be told it is exhausting!! I am slowing down the pace this year. I want to enjoy it, not dread it.