Monday, March 16, 2015

Nightstand tray spiff

Happy Spring Break!  The boys' girlfriends are both out of town this week, so I will have them more to myself. (yes!)  We plan on getting some things done around the house, eat lunches out, maybe see a couple movies.  But I also want to do some crafty things.  Can you tell I am feeling a little more chipper?  (:  I bought this sweet plastic tray for The Girl last summer to corral all of her cosmetics in the bathroom.  I think it was about $2 at IKEA.  She didn't want to take it with her, so I've been using it on my nightstand.  However, pink isn't really a color I want to decorate with in here.
I figured I would mod podge it. (I just realized that all this time I've been saying modge podge - ha ha!)
I gave the top of the tray a quick coat of white spray paint so the pattern wouldn't show under my fabric.  Then I found an old paint brush and starting mod podging away.  Tip: if you let the edges get soaked, then dry them well, they are easy to cut neatly with scissors.  Mod podge cleans up nicely with soap and water, if you clean spills right away.  Otherwise, you will have to use more elbow grease, but it will still clean up.
When it dries it is very stiff and sturdy.  But you can always peel it off if you change your decor again.  I love this stuff!  I've used it before on lightswitch covers and a decorative platter, as well as chipboard letters and cigar boxes.  It's like being back in first grade...
My sweet little tray matches my bedskirt and a couple of other things in the room.  And keeps track of my chapstick and other smallish items.  Sweet! 
Just 20 more days til my leave is up and I am BACK AT WORK.  So, I am going to try to make the most of the time I have at home.  I'm pretty jazzed about it - wish me luck!
 


Shared with:
http://hopestudios.blogspot.com/2015/03/tutorial-tuesday_17.html

No comments: