Monday, March 9, 2015

Ba$tard BBQ Remix

One of our favorite chicken meals is a great "BBQ" chicken dish from the I Hate to Cook Book by Peg Bracken.  Called Ba$tard BBQ, it involves chicken, garlic salt, and brown sugar - that's it.  We've had it often, and love it, but I also have a house of bacon lovers here - why not add bacon in?  Said everyone, always.
I don't know about your house, but we're getting tired of the whole casserole/comfort food thing here.  Time for a change.  The result was really good (surprise). 
So here's what I did:

Bacon Ba$tard BBQ
2 large boneless chicken breasts, cut in half
8 slices bacon (I used Applewood smoked center cut)
Chili powder, garlic salt, brown sugar
Mix about a half cup brown sugar with a heaping tablespoon of chili powder and a teaspoon of garlic salt.  Then dredge each breast half in the seasoned sugar, wrap with two slices bacon, sprinkle on the remaining sugar, then bake at 350 for about 50 minutes.
*Note:  I used chicken breast because of the fatty nature of the bacon - you could do thighs, but you might want to use a broiler pan.  Also, I brine my chicken breasts to make sure they are juicy - breasts always seem dry to me unless brined.  Eyeball the brown sugar mixture and add more chili powder if you like it!

With a salad and a baked sweet potato - such a good dinner.  And making four of them assured me no leftovers!




Shared with
Tweak it Tuesday at Cozy Little House
and
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

3 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

My son is a bacon lover...I have to show this one to him! :)

Rue said...

I love the name LOL and it looks really good!

Miz Helen said...

Your recipe looks awesome! Happy St. Patrick’s Day and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
Miz Helen