Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies

Our family's favorite chocolate chip cookies have a none-too-popular ingredient nowadays:  Crisco.  Many people think "EWW" at putting Crisco, not butter, into cookies.  But from my experience, shortening does a better job of making chewy cookies that stay fresher longer and have a better texture.  That's right.  I said it.  And I'm not the only one who thinks Crisco is just fine.  And just get an eye load of my cookies!
They turn out perfectly bumpy, don't spread out so they are nice and plump. 
Plus they keep longer.  
Win, win, win.
 
Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 stick butter flavor Crisco or 3/4 c. shortening
1 1/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
2 T. milk
1 T. vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 t. salt
3/4 t. baking soda
1 c. chocolate chips, m&m's*
1 c. chopped pecans

Beat shortening and brown sugar til light and fluffy; beat in vanilla, milk, and egg.  Stir dry ingredients together, then blend into wet.  Chill well.  Heat oven to 375. Drop cookie dough by  spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet.  Bake 8-10 minutes for chewy, 11-13 for crisp.  Cool two minutes on cookie sheet, then transfer to plate.  *Today I used the rest of some m&m's I had and half a bag of chocolate chips - no nuts.
I like butter same as anyone but these are delicious... you have to admit they look good...







Shared with:

2 comments:

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

They look so good Gina! Can you mail some to me? lol! Angie xo

Tanya-Lemonsforlulu.com said...

I can practically taste them! I'll admit, I'm a butter addict, but you just convinced me to try good old Crisco for my next batch of cookies!