Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Granny Smith Pies

Monday I made two apple pies, by Hubby's request, for the scouts that were coming to dinner.  Let me just say:  this was the best apple pie recipe I have ever made!  Maybe the difference was I used the correct type of apple...or maybe because I didn't attempt to make my own crust.  Maybe it was because I was under the gun and knew to check the internet (found this recipe at MyRecipes.com), or maybe because I did them deep dish style and added extra apples...whatever the reason, they were warm and bubbly by the time they were ready to be served with Bluebell Homemade Vanilla ice cream...
 

Granny Smith Apple Pie

  • 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
  • 6 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice 
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

  1. Fit one pastry into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. (I used a casserole dish since I was making two pies and wanted them to "match")
  2. Toss together apple and lemon juice in a large bowl. Combine brown sugar and next 4 ingredients; sprinkle over apple mixture, and toss to coat. Spoon into prepared pie crust.  I also put a few pats of butter on top of the apples.
  3. Roll remaining pie crust to press out fold lines; place over filling. Fold edges under, and crimp; cut slits in top for steam to escape.
  4. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°, and bake 35 minutes.
 
 I might have to add this recipe to my holidays file...
these were so good the boys licked their bowls. 



Shared with:

and

No comments: