Friday, April 27, 2012

Drought recovery

We're still way behind where we should be at this time of year for rainfall,
but Central Texas has been blessed with some mild temps and a little bit of rain that has
helped my yard discover it wants to live!
One day I mercilessly trimmed the landscaping and re-mulched.  
Everything is coming back so pretty! 
The lantana is spilling over to the sidewalk.
 
 You can't kill Wandering Jew - it's an invasive species here and once you plant it, 
you've got it.  But I love it, so I don't mind it one bit.
These salvia plants I thought were goners for sure. 
And now they look like they are spreading.
All the sage required was a trim and they filled out nicely.
Pretty soon they will be attracting hummingbirds and bumblebees.
And butterflies! They are everywhere!
The jasmine the neighbor planted on a trellis scents my yard with the most incredible perfume.
I feel a little guilty that we're the ones getting to enjoy it. 
 The fig tree has gone wacko. 
Really, at the end of the last two summers I thought it was dead. 
 And that was with me watering it a lot...
More Wandering Jew.  I love it under the trees.
*****
I still have a lot of lawn maintenance to do - spreading top soil and seeding some bare spots.  But if this trend of a little rain here and there keeps up, we should be able to hang on to our yard fairly easily this summer.



No comments: