Saturday, October 29, 2011

Not quite what I envisioned

I saw a cute idea lately for a centerpiece I wanted to re-create for my dining table.
It involved spray painting some small fake green gourds and pumpkins and adding them to a vase with branches.  I chose a pretty satin cream color paint, and painted the branches black so it would look Halloween-ish, but it didn't turn out like I thought it would.  The branches were ridiculous and bulky and didn't look right.  I put them by the front door with the pumpkins.
And I didn't have enough of them to fill my $1.62 vase from Sally Ann, so I had to add some other elements to it to fill it up.  Drat.
Maybe next time I am out I will look for more of those vase filler items but for today I am giving it a rest.  I tell myself:  I do a good job, even if my ideas don't always pan out.  And if I never try, I will never learn how to decorate my home and make it an inviting and beautiful place for my family.  Which is why I love Darlene's Master Designer blog post I read recently - it helps me see a bigger picture. 

“I am a Master Designer.
I love Beauty;
I see potential and I want to fill it with beauty.
I aim to create something beautiful that is worthy of joy.
Design is a high calling, one that can improve the lives of others, be a means to foster relationships, and add much joy to my family.
I appreciate fine and lovely things, but they are not my treasures.
I know what is truly important, and
I do not aim to “store up my treasures here on earth.”*
I live to bring glory to God, the Ultimate Master Designer.
He created Beauty.
He created all beautiful things.
And, He created my passion for design, and set that joy in my heart.
Everything that I create,
and have created,
is because I myself was created by a Master.
I am a Master Designer.”
*{verse reference, Matthew 6:19}

It's good to keep it all in perspective!
If you've ever compared your home, your style, your decorating to anyone else's....  
Maybe your vision should change, too. 



No comments: