Friday, October 21, 2011

Easy Spice-y Pumpkin Cake

Cooler weather makes me want to run go turn on the oven and bake something wonderful.  Something that will scent the house like Fall...and Thanksgiving...something like this:


Easy Spice-y Pumpkin Cake

1 c. white sugar
1/2 c. water
1/2 can pumpkin puree
1/4 butter, melted and cooled (1/2 a stick)
1 egg
2 t. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 tub buttercream frosting (or make your own!)
1/2 c. walnuts (with some extra pumpkin pie spice and a little dab of butter)

Heat the oven to 325.  Spray an 8x8 glass cake pan with Pam. Mix the first 6 ingredients.  Stir salt and baking soda into flour, then stir into wet ingredients.  Bake for 40 minutes or until cake springs back when pressed in the middle.  Cool. 
Meanwhile, toast the walnuts:  I crushed mine up a bit, added to a skillet with a sprinkle of spice and a little dab of butter.  Watch it carefully and stir it constantly over low to med heat to toast the nuts.  Cool. 
Frosting from a tub - I cheated today and it worked out beautifully!  I stored the leftover in the freezer.  After frosting it, scatter the nuts on top, perk a pot of cinnamon coffee and serve!
 Don't mind if I do! (:




Shared with:
and

3 comments:

Naturally Me Creations said...

This looks delicious...very carrot cake-y too! :)

Sweet & Savoury Delights

Marie said...

mmmm...that looks delicious!
You are the best baker/cook...You always have been
: )

The Country Cook said...

I;ve made pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bars, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies. But I don't think I've actually made a pumpkin cake. Oh I LOVE this recipe. And I love that you used the tub iciing. Honestly, any small shortcut is always welcomed here!! I love the flavors in this. Thank you again for sharing a recipe at Foodie Friday. This one is just perfect! Happy Thanksgiving!